1. Residency: You must reside in the Diocese of Lexington, Kentucky for one (1) year prior to application. This comprises the counties of Anderson, Bath, Bell, Bourbon, Boyd, Boyle, Breathitt, Carter, Clark, Clay, Elliott, Estill, Fayette, Floyd, Franklin, Garrard, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Jessamine, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lincoln, McCreary, Madison, Magoffin, Martin, Mercer, Menifee, Montgomery, Morgan, Nicholas, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Pulaski, Rockcastle, Rowan, Scott, Wayne, Whitley, Wolfe and Woodford.
2. Children: Couples who already have children must wait until the youngest child is at least one (1) year of age before being eligible to apply to adopt subsequent children from our agency.
3. Marriage: You must be married at least three (3) consecutive years to the same person prior to application. Persons divorced more than once will not be considered.
4. Health: You must have the usual life expectancy.You must be able to reliably attend to the care of children and demonstrate emotional stability.
5. Infertility: You must have explored medical solutions and have substantially resolved related psychological issues. Adoption is reserved for those couples who have not been able to have their own biological children even though no medical reason may be found yet as to why they cannot conceive. If you are choosing to adopt a child rather than have your own, we cannot serve you for adoption.
6. Income: You must demonstrate financial security by meeting the requirements established for Catholic Charities-Diocese of Lexington, Kentucky’s Bureau’s adoption program.
7. Age: Each member of a couple must be between the ages of 25-47 years old at the time of application to our adoption program
**In the case of children needing special placement, the ordinary requirements for admission to the adoption program may be waived in whole or in part at the agency's discretion